SWATHANTHRA SOFTWARE SANGAMAM-2010
VHSS Irimipanam in assosciation with Indian Libre User Group (formerly Indian Linux User Group), Kochi is proud to present the third edition (second consecutive year) of the Swathanthra Software Sangamam. This event brings together the Free Software community,teachers and students to engage all in 5 days of Knowledge sharing programmes(workshops, seminars). The focus of the five day program is the localisation of Tuxpaint, the 2D drawing application.
The students try their hand at attempting to translate the interface of the popular Free Software drawing program Tuxpaint to Malayalam. The students have decided to undertake this task after being Motivated and inspired from their previous successful attempt at making stamps of indian flowers and fruits and integrating it into the application (images, text and voice). The changes were mailed to Bill Kendrick, the founder and lead developer of Tuxpaint in USA and it was he who suggested on localising Tuxpaint and giving it a Malayalam Interface. The contribution (stamps) of the students is expected to be included in the next official release of Tuxpaint.
Another significance of the Event is the fact that few topics covered during the classes, will be handled by children themselves. Students who have almost completed the vacation course at the Free Learning Institute, Palarivattom (www.freelearninginstitute.wordpress.com) will join the elders to handle topics they have learned themselves. Indeed Free Software will bring a dramatic change to build a self sustaining community.
The Introduction of Free Software in Schools has brought about a revolution that builds upon the social framework of Kerala a community of teachers and students who are able to think independently and devise solutions for the better of the society.
The event details are as follows:
- VHSS Irimpanam
- Indian Libre User Group, Kochi
Objectives of the Program.
- To teach the basics of Computing.
- Make them understand the functioning of a machine through the command line interface.
- Explain concepts of Programming through Turtle Art.
- To enable students to contribute their knowledge to the Free Software application Tux Paint, Localization of Tux Paint Interface
- To spread awareness on the importance of Free Software in Schools
- Engage them in fun filled activities for learning.
- To impart the values of Free Software into students, thereby making them capable to value their freedom and use it to study, share and collaborate.
- Explain how their work can be put on the Internet.
- The students will be made into groups of four and they will collaborate to develop programs and incorporate new ideas.
- Date : 17 -22th May 2009
- Venue : Vocational Higher Secondary School, Irimpanam, Kochi.
- Audience: 5,6,7,8th students
- Concepts of Programming and Machine Interaction through “Guido Van Robot” ( Guido van Robot, or GvR for short, is a programming language and free software application designed to introduce beginners to the fundamentals of programming )
- Classes led by VIMAL JOSEPH
- Localization of Tux Paint
- Classes led by VIMAL JOSEPH
- Machines and the concepts of computing
- To teach them the basics of functioning of a Machine Command Line Interface
- Introduce the command line as a frontend for using the Computer
- Typesetting using Latex.
- Editing Wikipedia
- Update SSK and Irimpanam School Blog
- Refresh the content studied in schools and workshop.
- Learn new things related to Free Software
- To initiate a sense of competition through collaboration and collaboration through competition.
What is SSK?
- – Swathanthra Software Koottayma, VHSS Irimpinam
- – Vision
- To create a free thinking group which incorporates the core values of
- Free Software who use it to make themselves equipped with the knowledge by utilizing their freedom for the better of the society through learning, sharing
- and collaborating. The group will be a place were students, teachers
- and other members of the society will engage in healthy discussions of curriculum, syllabus, technology etc..
- Discuss on various Free Software technologies through presentations and demonstrations by students and teachers.
- Screening of Movies that induce sense of social responsibility in students.
- Collaborative studies during exams.
- Discussing on improving matters at Schools, Environment and the Society through the use of technology.
- Free Software Community Members will handle presentations and workshops for the group.
- Participate in Free Software group meetings and gatherings.
- Participate in Free Software and other Technology programs representing the school by demonstrating technologies used in the school and suitable for students.
- Bring out quarterly Free Software based newsletters.
- Generate ideas for simple applications for the school and society and develop them through collaboration with the community.
Contacts for Event
- School Event Coordinators :
- Sanal Kumar, Teacher (Malayalam) VHSS Irimpanam
- Phone : 9496449969
- Phone : 9995717112
- Members of Free Software Community
- Vimal Joseph
- Sameer Mohamed Thahir
- Faisal PP
- Sooraj Kenoth
- Jos Collin
- Students of Free Learning Institute
- Joseph Antony – IT@School Project
- Media Persons
Filed under: Uncategorized