Posted on July 30, 2010 by sanalmadathen
Swathanthra Software Koottayma of VHSS Irimpanam, had its second meeting this year on Wednesday, the 27th of July.
The details are as follows:
Date : 27/07/2010
Time: 3.30 to 4.30 pm
Multi Media Room
Ernakulam 682 309
1. An Introduction to the concept of Free Software by Vimal Joseph
In his introductory session Vimal Joseph said that tuxpaint localization was the big achievement of SSK.The customised version of Tuxpaint can be used by the whole student community.Such an achievement is not possible in proprietary softwares.He also differentiated between copying and manufacturing.A hardware manufactured cannot be copied, but copying is possible in the case of softwares.It can be shared with the community .Moreover the quality is not being lost when it is being copied.Software is another form of knowledge, and sharing of knowledge is the culture of our society, he said.Software should be freely available to the society, like natural resources like air.
2. Introducing educational applications
Thomas Yoyak,the Physics teacher and the I.T.Coordinator of the school, introduced some prominent educational applications in GNU/Linux.
Celestia, an educational application for Geography was demonstrated before the teachers and students.The program helps in astronomical studies, to study the universe in its integrity.
Kanagram an application for vocabulary development in English was then introduced.
Kgeography is helpful for the study of maps.Different types of comprehensive quiz is also possible with this application.
Ktechlab an application to make electronic circuits was also introduced.
3. An Introduction to Mathematical applications by Bejoy Mathai ( Mathematics teacher)
DrGeo an application to make geometrical shapes was introduced by him.
Geogebra is an application for Analytic Geometry was also introduced.
Sameer Mohammed Thahir from ILUG Cochin , M.I.Andrews (Manager, VHSS Irimpanam), V.A.Thampy (Principal, VHSS Irimpanam),teachers from U.P – H.S.sections and students participated in the event.
Filed under: Reports | Tagged: gnu/linux, hs irimpanam, linux user group, ssk, vhss irimpanam | Leave a comment »
Posted on September 29, 2009 by sanalmadathen
ജയ്ഹിന്ദ് ടി.വി. ന്യൂസ് ബുള്ളറ്റിനിലും കുട്ടികളുടെ വാര്ത്തയിലും ഇരുമ്പനം ഹൈസ്കൂളിലെ സ്വതന്ത്രസോഫ്റ്റ്വെയര് കൂട്ടായ്മയും സ്കൂള് വെബ്സൈറ്റും ഇടം നേടിയ വിവരം ചിലരെങ്കിലും അറിഞ്ഞുകാണും. സ്വതന്ത്രസോഫ്റ്റ്വെയര് കൂട്ടായ്മ എങ്ങനെ പ്രയോജനപ്പെടുന്നുവെന്ന് കുട്ടികള് വിശദീകരിക്കുന്നുണ്ട്. സ്കൂള് വെബ്സൈറ്റിലൂടെ കവിതകള് പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിച്ച കുട്ടികളും അവരുടെ അനുഭവങ്ങള് പങ്കുവയ്ക്കുന്നുണ്ട്.
കുട്ടികളുടെ വാര്ത്തയില് എസ്.എസ്.കെ.
ജയ്ഹിന്ദ് വാര്ത്തയില് എസ്.എസ്.കെ.
Filed under: Reports | Tagged: എസ്എസ്.കെ, free software user group, linux user group, student user group, vhss irimpanam | Leave a comment »
Posted on August 9, 2009 by sanalmadathen
The first meeting of the Swathanthra Software Koottayma held here in the school main hall was attended by upper primary and high school students ,teachers and free software activists from various fields.It is the first free software user group for students ever formed in Kerala.
To create a free thinking group which incorporates the core values of Free Software and uses it to make themselves equipped with the knowledge by utilizing their freedom for the better of the society through gaining knowledge, sharing and collaborating. The group will be a place were students, teachers and other members of the society will engage in healthy discussions of curriculum, syllabus, technology etc..
- Discuss on various Free Software technologies through presentations and demonstrations by students and teachers
- Screening of Movies that induce sense of social responsibility in students.
- Collaborative studies during exams.
- Discussing on improving matters at Schools, Environment and the Society through the use of technology.
- Free Software Community Members will handle presentations and workshops for the group.
- Participate in Free Software group meetings and gatherings.
- Participate in Free Software and other Technology programs representing the school by demonstrating technologies used in the school and suitable for students.
- Bring out quarterly Free Software based newsletters.
- Generate ideas for simple applications for the school and society and develop them through collaboration with the community.
SSK First Meeting Details.
||3pm – 4.30pm
||School Main Hall and Multimedia Room
- Students of 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th
- Free Software Community (ILUG Cochin) Members
15.00 – 15.20
Introductory Session on Free Software by Venkat
( ILUG Cochin Member )
- History of GNU Project
- GNU/ Linux Operating Sytem
- Introduction to Software Licenses
- GNU GPL
15.20 – 15.45
RImal, Abhinav and Geegu ( Class 10 Students )
Sanal Kumar (Malayalam Teacher )
- History of Malayalam Computing
- Swathanthra Malayalam Computing Project.
- Logic of Inkscript and Malayalam typing.
- Introduction to applications like the English to Malayalam dictionary and the text to
Speech application Dhvani.
- Setting a gradient as the background
- Concept of Layers
- Creating a Logo with ScriptFu
- Merging the layers and exporting to an Image File.
- Meetings on Every Second Friday of the Month.
- Next Month Student Volunteer would be selected.
- More questions and doubts from students
15.55 – 16.30
by Thomas Yoyaku (Chemistry Teacher and I.T.Coordinator)
The meeting concluded with a brief speech by Sameer Thahir and
he had some suggestions on improving the meeting.
Filed under: Reports | Tagged: irimpanam high school, vhss irimpanam | 1 Comment »